Report an injury or illness

We’re here to help.

When an injury or illness happens on the job, we provide wage-loss benefits, medical coverage and support to help people recover and get back to work.

  If you are injured or become ill at work Businesses

 Report your injury or illness using Form 6 

Report an injury or illness using Form 7

1. Get medical help
  • Get first aid right away
  • If you need further treatment, go to a health professional. Your employer pays for your transportation on the day of injury
  • Provide first aid and keep accurate records of the treatment provided
  • If further treatment is needed, you must transport your employee to the health professional, or pay the cost of your employee’s transportation to the health professional on the day of injury

If first aid is the only treatment received, you do not need to report to the WSIB. If you’re not sure contact us.

2. Document
  • Tell your employer about your injury or illness and any medical treatment you received right away
  • You must investigate and keep a detailed record of what’s happened, and the steps you take to correct the issue

3. Report to the WSIB

Report your injury or illness if:

  • you need treatment from a health professional (beyond first aid), or
  • you aren’t able to go to work, or
  • you are being paid less or receiving fewer hours of work

You do not have to report your injury or illness to us if all three of the following apply:

  • only first aid treatment was needed
  • you did not take any time off work
  • your pay was not affected

If your dentures, glasses and/or artificial appliances are damaged in a workplace accident, you are eligible to claim benefits for repairing or replacing these devices even if you have no other injuries


You must report a workplace injury within three days of learning about your employee’s workplace injury or illness if they:

  • need treatment from a health professional, or
  • are absent from work, or
  • earns less than regular pay  (e.g., working fewer hours or being paid less per hour)

You must provide a copy of the injury or illness report to your employee

Even if your employee doesn’t need treatment from a health professional, you must report their injury or illness if they are doing modified work. This means any change in their regular job while recovering from an injury or illness for more than seven days (at regular pay). In this case, you must report on the eighth day of modified work.


4. Work together

It’s important that you stay in touch with each other and the WSIB.

If you have questions, contact us.

Reporting rights and responsibilities

you are injured or become ill at work Businesses
  • You have six months from the date of injury, or date of diagnosis to claim benefits by reporting your injury or illness to the WSIB
  • You should report your workplace injury or illness even if:
    • your supervisor or manager tells you not to report, or that you will lose your job if you report it
    • your employer tells you that your injury or illness is not covered by the WSIB
    • your employer tells you to use sick days to recover from a workplace injury or illness, rather than report it
  • You have options for choosing a health professional


  • You must report a workplace injury within three days of learning about your employee’s workplace injury or illness


  • You are responsible for reporting an injury or illness of anyone you employ in your business including family, seasonal or temporary employees, certain domestic employees, people doing construction work, students, apprentices and training participants
  • You must report all cases of a needle stick injury, unless you have a surveillance protocol in place – that is a formal process to test and monitor a person exposed to an infectious disease


  • If you are not sure whether the injury or illness is work-related, you should still report it to us. We make the decision whether an injury or illness is work-related or not
  • It is against the law to discourage reporting of a workplace injury or illness. You could face a financial penalty as well as prosecution for not reporting, reporting late, not giving all the details requested, giving false or inaccurate details, and discouraging your employees from reporting

To learn more about your rights and responsibilities, see meeting your responsibilities and our policy on reporting obligations.

Workplace fatality or critical incident

  • Businesses must notify the Ministry of Labour if someone – whether they are an employee or not – is critically injured or killed at a workplace.
  • If you have a family member or employee that has been involved in a fatality or critical incident, call us at 1-800-387-0750, Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. We can provide a Crisis Intervention Counsellor to help. We are here to support you.