Appeals: Representation

The objecting party and the respondent can each have someone represent them. You must give the WSIB written authorization before we can allow your representative to view the claim file. We also need current contact information for your representative. Your representative must sign the Appeal Readiness form confirming you are ready to proceed with your appeal, or the Respondent Form confirming you are prepared to be available to participate in the appeal.

NOTE: You do not need a representative to appeal a decision. See the Intent to Object form instructions for names of organizations that provide free advice and representation.

To provide legal services on WSIB matters, a representative must be licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) as a lawyer or paralegal, OR s/he must be exempt from this licensing requirement.

A common exemption: You may be represented by a friend or a relative who is not in the business of providing legal services, but who may occasionally help someone for no fee.

If you have questions about licensing and/or exemptions you should contact the LSUC.

Obtaining worker representation

While the WSIB cannot recommend one representative over another, there are a number of options:

  • If the workplace has a union, a union representative can offer assistance to workers with the appeals process.
  • Workers who are not part of a union can seek assistance with their appeal by contacting the Office of the Worker Adviser.

Employer Representation

The Office of the Employer Adviser provides Ontario employers with expert, free and confidential advice, representation and education on all workers’ compensation issues under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.

Find out more information by going to the Office of the Employer Adviser website.

Both workers and employers have the option to seek third-party representation from lawyers and paralegals; this type of representation may come at a cost to the worker and to the employer.

Appeals Services Division Practices and Procedures

Track your appeal status online

People with claims and businesses can sign up for our secure online services to track the status of an appeal any time and get updates faster, as well as see resolved appeals. They can also submit documents straight to their file and send us messages, all in one convenient place.

Make sure you have the claim number and personal identification number (PIN) ready, you should have received both in the mail. If you don’t have this information, call us at 1-800-387-0750 from 7:30 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. Monday to Friday and we can provide it to you.


  • (PDF) (send by email or mail)
  • Appeal Readiness (Mailed to you, along with your claim file record, once you have submitted an intent to object form)

Learn more