WSIB benefits

If your claim is allowed, you may be eligible for WSIB benefits, including benefits for lost pay and help to recover and return to work.

  • Benefit for loss-of-earnings: If you miss time from work because of a work-related injury or illness we may pay for your loss of wages.
  • Benefit for non-economic loss: You may be eligible for this benefit if your work-related injury or illness causes you to have a permanent impairment.
  • Health-care benefits: If you need help with your recovery, we can provide benefits for treatment, medical devices, equipment and supplies, and prescription drugs.
  • Help to return to work: If you need support to get back to work, we can provide services and build a customized return-to-work plan that is right for you.
  • Benefit for loss-of-retirement income: If you are under 64-years-old at the time of your injury or illness and have been receiving a loss-of-earnings benefit for at least one year, we will put 5 per cent of your benefit into a retirement fund that you are paid starting when you turn 65.  
  • Services for seriously injured people: If you are seriously injured on the job we can provide you with specialized services to help you recover and improve your quality of life.
  • Services for people with occupational diseases: If you have a serious occupational disease (e.g., cancer, asthma, silicosis) we can provide you with specialized services to help you recover and improve your quality of life.
  • Survivor benefits: If you are the spouse or dependent of a person who died as a result of a workplace injury or illness you can claim survivor benefits.
  • Benefit for future economic loss: This benefit is available to people who were permanently impaired due to a workplace injury or illness between January 2, 1990 and December 31, 1997.
  • Benefits for claims made before 1990: If you were injured or made ill at work before January 2, 1990, you may be eligible to receive certain benefits.

When you’re eligible for WSIB benefits

You may be eligible for benefits if:

  • Your employer is covered by the WSIB;
  • You have a work-related injury or illness;
  • You or your employer report your injury or illness to us and your claim is allowed;
  • You provide us with the information we need to make decisions about your benefits; and
  • You agree to share information about your functional abilities with us and your employer. Our Functional Abilities Form (PDF) provides information about your physical condition and your ability to work. Your treating health-care professional (e.g., doctor, physiotherapist) will complete the form and identify your ability to walk, stand, sit, lift, and perform other work-related tasks. We use this information to help you plan your return to work.

What you need to do when receiving WSIB benefits

You have to tell us about any significant changes within 10 days of the change happening. If you’re not sure whether a change is significant, get in touch with us.

Please see the COVID-19 FAQs for updates about time limits related to the Government of Ontario’s COVID-19 Declaration of Emergency.

  1. Follow the recommendations of your health-care provider (e.g., doctor, physiotherapist).
  2. Take part in exams and assessments. We may ask you to take part in:
    • health exams to help us make a decision about your benefits, or
    • assessments to help us develop a return-to-work plan that is right for you.
  3. Co-operate in the return-to-work process. If you don’t co-operate with the process, your benefits can be affected (e.g., benefits can be reduced, suspended or discontinued).
  4. Let us know about any significant changes to your situation. Significant changes can include:
    • Returning to work; 
    • Starting to receive other income or government benefits; or
    • Important updates in your medical condition.
  5. Provide us with any information that we request about your claim.

If you receive benefits from us for lost pay, we’ll send you a T5007 statement at the end of each year. Your T5007 statement shows the total amount of loss-of-earnings benefits, minus any interest payments, you received up to and including December 31. You must report this amount on your income tax return.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires you to report your WSIB benefits as income, but you do not pay income tax on WSIB benefits. Your WSIB benefits may affect other tax credits that you claim.

Read more about the T5007 Statement and your benefits.

Learn about benefit-related overpayments.

Direct deposit 

You can ensure you receive your WSIB benefit payments as quickly and efficiently as possible by using our direct deposit services. By switching to direct deposit you will receive your regular payments directly through your financial institution instead of through the mail. Learn more about our direct deposit services.  


We often pay for expenses related to your claim. For more information on our benefit and expense rates, see Policy 18-01-05, Table of Rates.

What happens to your benefits in the case of death

If you are receiving a benefit at the time of your death, your benefits will not be transferred to your estate. Your estate should contact us to provide a death certificate as soon as possible.

We are here to help and support spouses and dependants of people who have lost a family member due to a workplace accident or disease.