Benefit-related overpayments

Occasionally, we may make an overpayment on your WSIB claim. If this happens, we will send you a letter to let you know about the overpayment, and you will need to repay it.

There are a few different ways that you can repay the overpayment:

  • Deductions from future benefit payments
  • Online, by Interac Online or by Visa or Mastercard (debit or credit)
  • Cheque or money order 

If you pay by cheque or money order, please clearly write your claim number on the memo line. Please do not post-date your cheque.  

Please call us at 1-800-387-0750 if you have any questions.