Privacy FAQs for businesses

How do I update my business address?

You can update your business address through our online services or contact our Employer Service Centre at:

  • General Enquiry 416-344-1000
  • Toll free: 1-800-387-0750
  • TTY: 1-800-387-0050

Schedule 1 businesses can also submit changes to the WSIB through ServiceOntario for:

  • Three types of business addresses (account general mailing, payroll records and organization)
  • Two types of business names (legal and trade)
  • Contact information (business telephone and/or fax numbers)

The WSIB and ServiceOntario have taken every step to ensure that online business transactions are safe and secure. To find out more about updating your business address, visit ServiceOntario.

Can businesses obtain a copy of a claim file?

A business or its representative can only obtain a copy of their employee’s claim file when they are objecting to a WSIB decision or if they choose to participate in an employee’s appeal.

Under sections 57, 58 and 59 of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA), both employees and their employer have an interest in an employee’s claim with similar rights to receive fair and equal treatment. When either party objects to a decision, both employees and their employer can obtain a copy of the relevant claim file documents to assist them in the appeal process.

Before giving the employer a copy of any claim file documents, employees are notified of the employer’s objection or participation in the employee’s objection and are sent a copy of the documents that are determined to be relevant. Employees are given an opportunity to object to the release of any health care information they feel is not relevant to the adjudication of their claim and are required to provide reasons for their objection. For more information, visit our appeals page.

Special rule for transfer of cost employers

If the WSIB finds that a person’s injury or illness was caused by the negligence of another employee or business, the WSIB may charge all or part of the claim costs to the negligent business’ cost record. This is recognized as a transfer of cost employer.

If the transfer of cost employer objects to a decision in your claim, access to relevant claim file information is given to the transfer of cost employer to enable effective participation in the decision-making process. Therefore, the transfer of cost employer receives claim file access in the same manner as described above, except you can object to the disclosure of any information in the claim file, not just health care information.

Receiving copies of relevant claim information

Claim files are sent by Canada Post mail to the business’s address in our records.


For more information call us at:

  • General Enquiry: 416-344-1000
  • Toll free: 1-800-387-0750
  • TTY: 1-800-387-0050

*Please be sure you have the employee’s claim number and other identifying information available when you call.

What is a business’s duty of confidentiality?

Under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, businesses and business representatives have a duty of confidentiality not to disclose any health information obtained from the WSIB about employees.

For more information, call us at:

  • General Enquiry: 416-344-1000
  • Toll free: 1-800-387-0750
  • TTY: 1-800-387-0050