Foreign Agricultural Workers Program

We want to make sure that all people are treated fairly and kept safe on the job. When foreign agricultural workers are injured or made ill on the job in Ontario, they are eligible for WSIB benefits and services like any Ontarians covered by the WSIB.


Coverage begins the date the person arrives at the agreed upon point of departure in their home country and continues until the person returns to their home country. Foreign agricultural workers are also covered while they are on their employer’s property, for example during meal time or in their boarding accommodation.

When a workplace injury or illness happens

When workplace injury or illness happens, we will help the person in their recovery and return to work. When a person returns to their home country, they may be entitled to further medical treatment and assessments. We do not make the decision on when an injured or ill foreign agricultural worker leaves the province, this is federal jurisdiction

Services we provide

If a foreign agricultural worker is injured or made ill at work, we will:

  • Stay in contact with the person throughout their recovery and return to work, whether they are in Ontario or their home country, to make sure that they receive the care and support they need.
  • Pay for their travel to and from medical appointments. If a person is receiving care in their home country, we will arrange for pre-payment of travel expenses.
  • Find health care for people receiving treatment in Ontario or their home country, and pay the providers directly.

We understand that many people may not be able to access quality health care in their home country. We will now determine on a case-by-case basis if someone should stay in Ontario during their recovery. Our goal is to get the best recovery and return-to-work outcomes for the people we’re here to help.

For more information, check out our brochure for foreign agricultural workers (PDF) and our brochure for employers (PDF). These brochures are also available in Spanish (PDF) and French.


Visit our foreign agricultural workers policy webpage for more information.

For more information

If you are calling from within Canada or outside of Canada, you can reach us at 1-800-387-0750.