The WSIB and the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) are committed to helping make Ontario the safest place to work.
One of the ways we work together is by providing WSIB rebates to businesses through the MLTSD’s program Supporting Ontario's Safe Employers (SOSE) – a voluntary program that promotes workplace health and safety and helps reduce work-related injuries and illness.
Businesses that apply to the SOSE program and are recognized by the Chief Prevention Officer (CPO) for investing in health and safety can qualify for WSIB rebates for up to three consecutive years.
How do I qualify for a WSIB rebate through SOSE?
Businesses that meet the MLTSD requirements, and achieve and maintain CPO recognition through the SOSE program are eligible for WSIB rebates for up to three consecutive years.
Once you’ve achieved recognition, the MLTSD will send your information to the WSIB. We’ll then take a look at your account to make sure you meet these requirements:
- Are registered with the WSIB and have an active WSIB account.
- Are a Schedule 1 business.
- Have paid your premiums and any outstanding balances owed to the WSIB.
- Comply with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 (WSIA) and haven’t been charged under the WSIA or the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC) in the last 24 months.
- Please note: if a business is charged under the WSIA or the CCC after receiving the rebate, the WSIB reserves the right to retract the rebate.
- Haven’t experienced a work-related fatality at your business (or are waiting on a WSIB decision regarding a fatality) from the time you’re recognized by the CPO under SOSE, and the time you receive the WSIB rebate.
- Please note: If your business has a work-related fatality while in the SOSE program, you will not be eligible for WSIB rebates.
In your second and third year of SOSE, you’ll need to:
- Maintain your CPO recognition and meet the WSIB eligibility requirements outlined for year one above.
- Complete a culture survey each year that will help you understand your employee’s feelings and knowledge of health and safety in your workplace.
- Show us that a return-to-work (RTW) program is a lasting part of your occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) and meets our requirements.
- If you’d like more information on the RTW program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.
The WSIB reserves the right to use its sole discretion to provide a financial incentive.
How much can I earn in rebates?
The amount of your rebate depends on a number of different factors like the amount you paid in WSIB premiums in the previous year, your claims experience, and your year in the SOSE program.
Please note: each business is eligible for one rebate a year, and we issue them four times a year, on a quarterly basis.
If you’d like to discuss your potential rebate, or have any questions about qualifying for a WSIB rebate through the SOSE program, feel free to contact us at email@example.com