A by-law relating generally to the transaction of the business and affairs of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
Article 1: Definitions and interpretation
In this By-law and in all other By-laws and resolutions of the Corporation, unless the context otherwise requires:
- "Act" means the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, as amended, revised, or re-enacted from time to time, including the regulations made under it, or a predecessor Act and regulations where the context so requires;
- "Board of Directors" means the board of directors of the corporation;
- "By-law" means a by-law of the corporation in force and effect; and
- "Corporation" means the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
(1) In each By-law and resolution, words importing the singular number shall include the plural number and vice versa and words importing the masculine gender shall include the feminine gender and vice versa.
(2) Wherever reference is made in any By-law or in any resolution of the Board of Directors to any statute, the reference shall be deemed to extend to any amendment, revision, or re-enactment of the statute.
The division of this By-law into articles and sections and the insertion of headings are for convenience of reference only and will not affect the construction or interpretation of this By-law.
Article 2: Head office
The head office of the Corporation shall be at such place as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine.
Article 3: Corporate seal
The Corporation shall have a corporate seal that may be changed by resolution of the Board of Directors.
Article 4: Financial year
The financial year-end of the Corporation shall be the last day of December.
Article 5: Signing of documents
(1) Subject to:
- any spending controls, authorities or limitations approved by the Board of Directors, and
- any spending controls, authorities or limitations approved by the President, documents requiring signing by the Corporation may be signed on behalf of the Corporation by any member of the Board of Directors, officer or employee of the Corporation.
All documents so signed are binding upon the Corporation without any further authorization or formality.
(2) The corporate seal of the Corporation may be affixed to documents by any person authorized to sign them. That person may also direct someone else to affix the seal.
(3) Signatures on documents may be printed or mechanically reproduced. All such documents shall be deemed to have been signed by hand and are as valid as if they had been signed by hand. The validity of the document is not impaired if the person ceases to hold office at the date of the delivery or issue of such documents.
Article 6: Power to borrow
(1) Unless another By-law provides otherwise, the Board of Directors may from time to time:
- borrow money upon the credit of the Corporation, including but not limited to, obtaining lines of credit and entering into any capital lease or lease purchase arrangements that constitute borrowing;
- issue, reissue, sell or pledge debt obligations of the Corporation;
- give a guarantee on behalf of the Corporation to secure performance of an obligation of any person; and
- mortgage, hypothecate, pledge or otherwise create a security interest in all or any property of the Corporation owned or subsequently acquired, to secure any obligation of the Corporation.
(2) Unless another By-law provides otherwise, the Board of Directors may by resolution delegate any or all of the powers referred to in Article 6 of this By-law to a member of the Board of Directors, a Committee or an officer.
Article 7: Effect of this by-law
This By-law comes into force on the day it is passed by a resolution of the Board of Directors and, from that time, all prior By-laws and resolutions are repealed to the extent that they are inconsistent with the provisions of this By-law. The repeal of such By-laws and resolutions shall not in any way affect the validity of any act done or right, privilege, obligation or liability acquired or incurred under the By-law or resolution prior to such repeal.
This by-law was passed and made by the Board of Directors on June 9, 2023, rescinding the previous By-law made by BOD Minute 3j, August 13, 2014, page 7310, which in turn rescinded and superseding the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #3(n), June 19, 2013, Page 7248, which in turn rescinded and superseded the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #3(n), June 14, 2012, Page 9191, which in turn rescinded and superseded the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #3(g), November 10, 2010, Page 7125, which in turn rescinded and superseded the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #4(d), February 9, 2009, Page 7006, which in turn rescinded and superseded the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #3(b), May 31,2007, Page 6884, which in turn rescinded and superseded the previous By-law made by BOD Minute #3, August 29, 2002, Page 6440.