Making a claim for noise-induced hearing loss

If your hearing loss is work-related, you can submit a claim for WSIB benefits. If your noise-induced hearing loss claim is allowed we will help you get the services and equipment you need for your hearing loss to improve your quality of life.


I think I have work-related hearing loss, what do I do?

If you think you may have noise-induced hearing loss, you should see an audiologist. Audiologists are hearing professionals and are able to perform tests to check your hearing. Talk to your doctor about your hearing and ask to see an audiologist.

If you have had a hearing test and/or have been diagnosed with hearing loss that you feel may be caused by working in one or more noisy Ontario workplaces you should file a claim for noise-induced hearing loss.

How do I file a noise-induced hearing loss claim?

You can make a claim through your: 

  • employer,
  • doctor,
  • audiologist,
  • hearing instrument practitioner,
  • union,
  • a representative of your choice or,
  • you can file your own claim.

To file your own claim, download a Worker’s Report of Occupational Noise Induced Hearing Loss (PDF) and mail or fax it in, or call 416-344-1000 or toll-free 1-800-387-0750 (TTY 1-800-387-0050), Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

You will need your current address, date of birth, Social Insurance Number (SIN), the date of your hearing tests (if available), the name of your health practitioner or clinic and their address and telephone number (if available).

What happens when you receive my noise-induced hearing loss claim?

We have a specially trained team of noise-induced hearing loss adjudicators, audiologists and occupational hygienists who have experience with noise-induced hearing loss. Our priority is to provide you with the best possible service.

Once we receive information about your claim, we will assign you a claim number and a noise-induced hearing loss adjudicator. Your noise-induced hearing loss adjudicator will contact you to provide you with your claim number and collect any additional information they need to make a decision in your claim. We will then review information from you, your employer(s), and your health-care provider to decide if you are entitled to WSIB benefits.

What if I have trouble hearing you on the phone?

We understand that talking on the phone may not be the best option for you. We are able to offer alternatives to make communicating easier. They include:

  • using a family member or friend to help with communicating over the telephone,
  • sending information in writing by mail or fax,
  • meeting in person at a WSIB office, or
  • using communication services offered for the hearing impaired by the Canadian Hearing Society.

What information do I need to provide for my noise-induced hearing loss claim?

We need you to provide us with information about noise exposure in your workplace(s) and your medical diagnosis of noise-induced hearing loss.

We will work with you, your employer, and your health-care provider to gather all necessary information to make a decision in your claim. It is helpful if you can:

  • Describe your symptoms and when you first became aware of your hearing problems.
  • Provide detailed information about your previous jobs and employers, including dates of employment, how long you worked at the job and the types of tasks you did on the job. We may also ask you for documents confirming your past employment, especially if your employer is no longer in business.
  • Provide the names and addresses of all doctors, audiologists and/or hearing instrument practitioners you have seen regarding your hearing loss, and the dates of all visits.

How long will it take to get a decision for my noise-induced hearing loss claim?

Each claim is unique and decision times can vary. We want to provide you with the best possible service and will do our best to get you decisions quickly. We will always provide you with an explanation of how we reached a decision.

If my claim is allowed, what benefits will I get?

We want people to receive quality health-care services and the right equipment for their hearing loss to help improve their quality of life.

For allowed noise-induced hearing loss claims, your benefits may include:

What if I don’t agree with a decision in my claim?

If we make a decision that you do not agree with, the first step would be to discuss the issue with the noise-induced hearing loss adjudicator who made the decision. You can also visit our appeals webpage to learn more about our appeals process.

What is the difference between noise-induced hearing loss and traumatic hearing loss?

Noise-induced hearing loss is different from traumatic hearing loss. If your hearing loss is due to sudden exposure to noise, physical injury or chemical exposure at work, you can call 416-344-1000 (TTY: 1-800-387-0050) or 1-800-387-0750, Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for more information. To learn more about this type of hearing loss, see WSIB policy: 15-04-01 Traumatic Hearing Loss.

Who can I talk to about my claim?

You can at 416-344-1000 (TTY: 1-800-387-0050) or 1-800-387-0750 with any questions, Monday to Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Noise-induced hearing loss  is considered an occupational disease under Sections 2(1) and 15 of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA).

When making a decision on noise-induced hearing loss claims, we are guided by these policies:

Have questions?

For more information, you can call us at 416-344-1000 (TTY: 1-800-387-0050) or 1-800-387-0750 with any questions, Monday to Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.