2021 Small Business Health and Safety Leadership Awards coming soon!
Due to the current lockdown in Ontario, we’re reviewing our plan for the 2021 Small Business Health and Safety Leadership Awards. We hope to share more details soon.
2020 award winners announced
The recipients of the Small Business Health and Safety Leadership Awards were announced during a virtual ceremony on November 24, 2020:
- Gold level – Brick & Co. Restoration Ltd, Kitchener $5,000
- Silver level – Albany Retirement Village, Petrolia, $3,000
- Bronze level – Ron H. Williams Drainage Inc., Listowel, $2,000
The WSIB’s Small Business Health and Safety Leadership Awards recognize outstanding health and safety achievements in small businesses with fewer than 50 employees.
We know that many small business owners work hard to keep the people who work for them healthy and safe. It goes without saying that the COVID-19 pandemic this year has changed the landscape for so many small businesses in Ontario. As the province re-opens, we are shining a light on small business leaders who showed resilience through the pandemic, and made their workplaces healthier and safer.
- Past winners are not eligible to re-apply for five years
- Applicants must be registered with the WSIB and have an account in good standing (i.e. all premiums and other amounts owing to the WSIB are paid up-to-date, no convictions, good claims history).
- Applicants must have at least one employee (not including the owner/operator) but less than 50 employees.
- During the life of their business, applicants must not have:
- Any fatalities in the workplace
- Any convictions by the Ministry of Labour, Skills Training and Development for violations to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and its regulations or the Employment Standards Act (ESA)
For more information
2020 Award winners
Gold level – Brick & Co. Restoration Ltd., Kitchener $5,000
Brick & Co Restoration Ltd. has been serving communities across southern Ontario for over 32 years, specializing in repairing, restoring, preserving, and protecting properties. During the COVID-19 pandemic, they made significant efforts to address workplace health and safety to ensure each team member felt supported through this challenging time. Their leadership team issued a comprehensive information package identifying COVID-19 hazards and control measures, and implemented new policies including remote work where possible and staggered work hours. Brick & Co gave back to their community as well, by donating extra Tyvek suits and boot covers to St. Mary’s General Hospital.
Brick & Co. is a member of the WSIB’s Health and Safety Excellence program and strongly believe health and safety goes beyond preventing workplace incidents and injuries – it's about promoting the wellness and wellbeing of their employees.
Silver level – Albany Retirement Village, Petrolia, $3,000
Albany Retirement Village (ARV) has been serving the Petrolia community for over 20 years, offering dedicated care, support, and accommodation for their residents. Over the year, the ARV leadership team has worked diligently to manage and avoid infectious disease outbreaks both proactively and effectively – most recently during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As the challenges of the pandemic significantly increased among high-risk residents, ARV took action to ensure their staff had the essential training and equipment they needed to be safe and stay healthy.
The residents’ wellbeing remains ARV’s top priority, and staff adapted activities for social distancing rules, including hiring additional staff and extra cleaning throughout the retirement home.
Bronze level – Ron H. Williams Drainage Inc., Listowel, $2,000
Since 1984, Ron H. Williams Drainage Inc. has been providing quality agricultural drainage systems that improve soil health, reduce soil compaction and increase crop production to communities across midwestern Ontario.
When faced with the effects of the pandemic, the management team at Williams Drainage knew took steps to keep their employees’ healthy and safe. This included providing their team with sanitization essentials, limiting the number of employees on a job site, and creating a COVID-19 Management Protocol that addressed the associated risks and preventative measures of the virus.
As a member of the WSIB’s Health and Safety Excellence program, Williams Drainage recognizes the importance of employee wellbeing and continues to invest in workplace health and safety.
2019 Award winners
- Gold level – Hawkins Contracting Services Limited, Stouffville $5,000
- Silver level – Clearview Window Cleaning, Thunder Bay, $3,000
- Bronze level – Double AA Metal Roofing Inc., Belle River, $2,000
2018 Award winners
- Gold level – SG Cunningham, Waterloo, $5,000
- Silver level – Zero Environmental, Kitchener, $3,000
- Bronze level – Bread and Butter, Kingston, $2,000