A training participant is entitled to temporary disability benefits
- as long as the disability continues, and
- the injury prevents the training participant from participating in the training program, or, if the training program is no longer available, the injury prevents the training participant from participating fully in the labour force.
PurposeThe purpose of this policy is to outline when an individual on an unpaid training placement is entitled to temporary disability benefits.
A training participant participates in a training program if the placement duties are modified to accommodate the participant's injury.
If a student is enrolled in a course, the placement will be modified to accommodate the participant's injury if the training agency excuses the training participant from completing that portion of the placement with no negative consequences for the training participant.
If the placement is not modified to accommodate the training participant, the training participant may still continue with the in-class portion of the training program, if it is still available.
A training program is no longer available if
- the training program has ended, or
- in the case of college or university students, it is summer break.
If the training program is no longer available, a training participant continues to receive temporary disability benefits if the injury prevents full participation in the labour force.
Temporary total disability benefits are paid if the training participant is totally disabled from working.
Temporary partial disability benefits are paid if the training participant is capable of suitable work and the only suitable work available to the training participant pays less than the pre-injury earnings.
For information about training participants and
- coverage, see 12-04-05, Coverage for Unpaid Trainees
- earnings, see 18-06-01, Calculating Temporary Total Disability Benefits (Accidents between 1985 and 1998)
- employer assessments, see 12-04-05, Coverage for Unpaid Trainees
- re-employment obligations, see 19-02-02, Responsibilities of the Workplace Parties in Work Reintegration.
This policy applies to all decisions made on or after January 1, 2018, for accidents prior to January 1, 1998.
This document replaces 18-06-06 dated February 15, 2013.
This document was previously published as:
18-06-06 dated October 12, 2004
05-02-06 dated June 1, 1995.
Workers' Compensation Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended
Section 1(1), 37(1), (2), 144, 145, 146