Work Transition Expenses


The WSIB pays expenses that it considers appropriate to enable the worker to engage in work transition (WT) assessments and WT plans.


This document should be read in conjunction with 19-02-01, Work Reintegration Principles, Concepts and Definitions.

The expenses paid by the WSIB during the WT assessment consist primarily of service fees for assessments/evaluations, interpreters where necessary and travel expenses. See 17-01-09, Travel and Related Expenses.

Expenses to be paid by the WSIB related to a WT plan are set out and agreed to before commencement of the plan. These may include expenses for services, tuition fees, books, supplies, special accommodation needs, equipment, and travel. WT expenses are paid until the WT plan is completed or discontinued.

Assistive devices

The WSIB pays for all assistive devices that are identified and documented in the WT plan (such as modifications and assistive devices required during education, training or placement) if they are necessary for the worker to participate in the activities of the WT plan.

Living accommodation expenses

Every effort is made to select a training facility that is within daily commuting distance of the worker’s home. If this isn’t feasible, the WSIB pays accommodation expenses while a worker is co-operating in a WT program (e.g., hotel/motel, apartment rental), where the distance between the worker's principal residence and the training facility is such that a secondary residence on a temporary basis is required.

The WSIB and the worker consider the most suitable, reasonable, and cost-effective accommodation, having regard for the worker’s circumstances.

If a worker chooses to stay in non-commercial lodgings, such as with a relative or friend, the WSIB may pay the equivalent of up to 50% of the usual accommodation rate established for the specific region.

Return trip home

If the WSIB is paying monthly accommodation expenses for a worker, the WSIB may also pay the worker’s travel costs for one return trip to the worker's principal residence each month.

Meal allowance

If the worker is staying in a hotel/motel, the worker is entitled to the full per diem meal allowance. In cases where a worker is renting an apartment, the worker is entitled to 50% of the per diem meal allowance. If a worker is staying on residence at a training centre or educational institution, the worker is entitled to 50% of the per diem meal allowance or may opt for the purchase of a residency meal plan. For the current meal allowance rate, see 18-01-05, Table of Rates.

Application date

This policy applies to all new WT assessment or WT plan decisions made on or after July 15, 2011.

Policy review schedule

This policy will be reviewed within five years of the application date.

Document History

This document replaces 19-03-06 dated December 1, 2010.

This document was previously published as:
19-03-06 dated October 3, 2007
19-03-06 dated January 3, 2006
19-03-06 dated October 12, 2004
19-03-06 dated November 30, 2001
19-03-06 dated June 15, 1999
12.6 dated January 1, 1998.

Legislative Authority

Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, as amended
Section 42


#13, June 30, 2011, Page 489